Hepatitis is one of the major diseases that affect the liver in the body. It is important to get treatment for the condition from a good hospital to prevent complications. At Midas, our team of experienced doctors and staff, provide excellent Hepatitis treatment.
What is Hepatitis?
Hepatitis is a medical condition that causes inflammation of the liver. It can be caused by a viral infection, but there can be other reasons also. It is a condition that affects the liver. The liver is located in the right upper area of the abdomen. The liver is responsible for many critical functions that affect metabolism. Functions of the liver include:
- Bile production
- Activation of enzymes that are special proteins required for body functions
- Filtering of toxins from the body
- Synthesis of blood proteins such as albumin
- Breakdown of carbohydrates, fats, and proteins
- Excretion of bilirubin, cholesterol, hormones, and drugs
- Storage of glycogen, minerals, and vitamins- A, D, E, and K
- Synthesis of clotting factors
What Causes Hepatitis?
There are five types of viral infections of the liver, which are categorized as A, B, C, D, and E. Each type of hepatitis is caused by a different virus.
Hepatitis A is an acute and short-term disease, while others are chronic in nature. Hepatitis A is caused by the Hepatitis A virus. It is transmitted by consuming food or water contaminated by the faeces of a person infected with hepatitis A.
Hepatitis B is transmitted via contact with infectious body fluids such as semen, blood, vaginal secretions containing the hepatitis B virus. It can be caused by using injection drugs, sexual intercourse with an infected partner, or sharing razors with an infected person.
Hepatitis C is caused by the hepatitis C virus. It is transmitted via direct contact with an infected person’s bodily fluids such as injection drug usage or sexual intercourse.
Hepatitis D is also known as Delta hepatitis, and it’s a serious liver disease caused by the virus. It is a rare form of hepatitis that only occurs in conjunction with hepatitis B injection. It can also multiply without the presence of hepatitis B.
Hepatitis E is a waterborne disease caused by the hepatitis E virus. It is mainly found in areas with poor sanitation. It happens from ingesting faecal matter, which contaminates the water supply.
Another reason for hepatitis can be the consumption of alcohol. It causes liiver damage and inflammation. It is also referred to as alcoholic hepatitis. Alcohol directly injures the cells of the liver. Over time, it can lead to permanent damage or liver failure and scaring of the liver also known as liver cirrhosis.
There can be other causes of hepatitis as well. It includes autoimmune hepatitis, which occurs when the immune system of your body makes antibodies against your liver tissue. The immune system mistakes the liver as a harmful object and begins to attack. It often hinders liver function.
Wilson’s disease (due to deposition of copper), Hemachromatosis (due to deposition of iron) and certain medications can also cause hepatitis.
What are the symptoms of Hepatitis ?
If you are infected by chronic forms of hepatitis such as B and C, the symptoms may not appear in the beginning. Symptoms occur only when the liver gets damaged. Symptoms of acute hepatitis infection appear quickly. These include:
- Abdominal pain
- Loss of appetite
- Flu-like symptoms
- Unexplained weight loss
- Dark urine
- Yellow skin and eyes
- Pale stool
Chronic hepatitis develops slowly, and hence the symptoms can be too subtle to appear.
What are the tests done for evaluation of hepatitis ?
Our best hepatitis hospital offers all types of diagnosis for hepatitis, which are as follows:
- History and physical exam
The doctor will gently press your abdomen to see pain or tenderness. They will try to feel if the liver is enlarged. They will check if your eyes are yellow.
- Liver function tests
The test uses blood samples for determining the efficiency of your liver. Abnormal results indicate there is a problem. High liver enzymes indicate the liver is damaged, stressed, or not functioning properly.
- Other blood tests
If the liver function test is not normal, doctors will suggest other blood tests for testing viruses that cause hepatitis. They can also be used for checking antibodies common in conditions like autoimmune hepatitis.
The ultrasound creates an image of the organs within your abdomen. This helps the doctor in taking a closer look at your liver and nearby organs.
- Liver biopsy
It is an invasive procedure where the doctor takes a tissue sample from your liver. It can be done through the skin with a needle without any surgery. Ultrasound guides the doctor when taking the sample.
What is the treatment for Hepatitis ?
- Hepatitis A is a short-term illness and is best managed with supportive care with. bed rest, hydration and nutrition.
- Hepatitis B is treated with antiviral medications. It continues for several months and needs regular evaluation and monitoring to see if the virus is responding to treatment. People with chronic hepatitis B might develop liver cancer or liver scaring (cirrhosis). Such patients might need a liver transplant.
- Hepatitis C is treated with antiviral medications. People with chronic hepatitis C can developor liver scarring (cirrhosis) and might need a liver transplant.
- Some antiviral medications can be used for treatment of hepatitis D. can be prevented with a vaccine for hepatitis B.
- There is no specific hepatitis treatment for type E. It resolves on its own with adequate rest, drinking fluids, and getting nutrients.
- For autoimmune hepatitis, corticosteroids such as prednisone or budesonide are important in the early phase. Immune suppressing drugs may also be used in the treatment.
All of this hepatitis can be prevented with the help of vaccination except hepatitis C and E.
It is important that you get yourself checked at one of the best hepatitis hospital since often times hepatitis management requires experienced .doctors for best hepatitis treatment. At Midas, our team of experts has managed thousands of patients with hepatitis successfully. Midas is widely recognized as some of the best hepatitis hospital in India. Our team of gastrologists / gastroenterologists and hepatologists provide best hepatitis treatment.
You can visit our hospital or connect with us via phone call or email. Midas is offering quality medical care to people since more than a decade. We strive to offer comprehensive healthcare at an affordable cost.