Adult Transplant Hepatology Fellow, Division of Abdominal Transplant and Hepatobiliary Surgery, Columbia University, New York Presbyterian Hospital, New York, NY
2017 – 2018
Interventional Endoscopy Fellow and Clinical Instructor of Medicine, Division of Digestive Diseases, David Geffen School of Medicine at University of California, Los Angeles, CA
2016 – 2017
Gastroenterology fellow and Instructor of Medicine, Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN
2013 – 2016
Internal Medicine Resident and Instructor of Medicine, Department of Medicine, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH
2010 – 2013
M.B.B.S (Bachelor of Medicine & Bachelor of Surgery)
Government Medical College, Nagpur, India
Maharashtra University of Health Sciences, Nashik, India 2002 – 2009
Internal Medicine (ABIM) certified on Oct. 7, 2013 (top 10%)
Gastroenterology (ABIM) certified on Dec, 21, 2016 (top 5%)
Transplant Hepatology (ABIM) certified on Dec, 2017 (top 5%)
1. American Gastroenterology Association Fellow Abstract Award, 2015
2. Young Investigator Bursary Award, European Association for the Study of the Liver, 2015
3. Research grant award, Minnesota Partnership for Biotechnology and Medical Genomics
• Principal Investigator, American College of Gastroenterology Clinical Research Grant Award, 2012
• Principal Investigator, Research Program Committee Grant Award, 2011
• Clinical Scholar Program, 2011
o Awarded to 6 out of 120 candidates in the Internal Medicine Residency program.
o Advanced research track that offers selected residents anticipating a career in academic medicine with clinical teaching seminars, courses in clinical research or epidemiology, and a medical writing course.
• Amongst top 2% students in a class of 200 in Medical College
• Honors (above 75% marks) in Biochemistry, Microbiology, Pathology and Ophthalmology.
• Principal Investigator, Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) Scholarship Award
presented to 100 medical students all over India, 2003
Extramural Professional Responsibilities
• DDW Video Committee, 2019-2020
• National Editor, Journal of Digestive Endoscopy, current
• Associate Editor, BioMed Central Gastroenterology, open access journal, current
• Consulting editor, Clinical and Experimental Gastroenterology, current
• Reviewer, Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, current
• Reviewer, Inflammatory Bowel Disease journal, current
• Reviewer, Journal of Digestive Endoscopy, current
• Editorial Board, Journal of Digestive Endoscopy, current
Professional Memberships and Societies
• Member, Indian Association for the Study of the Liver, 2020 – current
• Member, Indian Society of Gastroenterology, 2020 – current
• Member, Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy of India, 2020 – current
• Member, American College of Gastroenterology, Jan. 2014 – current
• Member, American Gastroenterology Association, Jan. 2014 – current
• Member, American Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, Jan. 2014 – current
• Member, American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases, Feb. 2016 – current
Research Grants Awarded
• Minnesota Partnership for Biotechnology and Medical Genomics, 2015 for “Electroporation for Extracardiac Tissue Ablation: Novel Therapies for Disease”, Co-investigator, US $ 1 million
• American College of Gastroenterology Clinical Research Award, 2012 for “Investigation of etiopathogenesis of nephrolithiasis in patients with ileal pouches”, Principal Investigator, 2012, US $ 8,500
• Research Program Committee Pilot Grant Award, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Ohio for “Urine studies to assess metabolic complications in patients with ileal pouches”, Principal Investigator, 2011, US $ 19,992
• Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) Scholarship Award for “Efficacy of Metadoxine in Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease – A Randomized Double Blind Controlled Trial”, Principal Investigator, 2003, INR 5,000 (US $ 111.1)
1. Mukewar S, Carr-Locke D. Advances in Endoscopic Imaging of the Biliary Tree.
Gastrointest Endosc Clin N Am. 2019 Apr;29(2):187-204.
2. Mukewar S, Muthusamy V. Recent Advances in Therapeutic EUS for Cancer Treatment.
Gastrointest Endosc Clin N Am. 2017 Oct;27(4):657-680.
3. Mukewar S, Gostout CJ. The Evolution of "New Notes," Origins, and Future Directions.
Gastrointest Endosc Clin N Am. 2016 Apr;26(2):229-35
4. Mukewar S, Muthusamy V. Future direction in EUS-guided tissue acquisition. Techniques
in Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (accepted)
5. Singh S, Mukewar S. Role of Endoscopy in Portal Hypertension. (under preparation).
6. Chhoda A, Mukewar SS, Mahadev S. Managing Gallstone Disease in the Elderly. Clin
Geriatr Med. 2021 Feb;37(1):43-69
1. Mukewar S, Sharma A, Phillip N, Gupta R, Aryal-Khanal A, de Pretis N, Anani V, Enders
FT, Larson JJ, Takahashi N, Levy MJ, Topazian M, Pearson RK, Vege SS, Chari ST. Risk
of Pancreatic Cancer in Patients with Pancreatic Cysts and Family History of Pancreatic
Cancer. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2018 Feb 6
2. Mukewar S, Gorospe EC, Knipschield MA, Bingener J, Gostout C. Effects of carbon
dioxide insufflation during direct cholangioscopy on biliary pressures and vital parameters:
a pilot study in porcine models. Gastrointest Endosc. 2017 Jan;85(1):238-242
3. Mukewar S, Kumar N, Catalano M, Thompson C, Abidi W, Harmsen W, Enders F,
Gostout C. Safety and efficacy of fistula closure by endoscopic suturing: a multi-center
study. Endoscopy. 2016 Nov;48(11):1023-1028
4. Mukewar S, Gupta A, Baron TH, Gores G, Furutani K, Haddock MG, Hallemeier CL.
Endoscopically inserted nasobiliary catheters for high dose-rate brachytherapy as
part of neoadjuvant therapy for perihilar cholangiocarcinoma. Endoscopy 2015
5. Mukewar S, Sharma A, Lackore K, Enders F, Torbenson M, Kamath PS, Roberts LR,
Kudva YC. Clinical, Biochemical, and Histopathology Features of Patients with
Glycogenic Hepatopathy. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2016 Dec 30
6. Mukewar S, de Pretis N, Aryal-Khanal A, Ahmed N, Sah R, Enders F, Larson JJ, Levy
MJ, Takahashi N, Topazian M, Pearson R, Vege SS, Chari ST. Fukuoka criteria accurately
predict risk for adverse outcomes during follow-up of pancreatic cysts presumed to be
intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasms. Gut. 2016 Jul 7
7. Mukewar S, Sharma A, Rubio-Tapia A, Wu TT, Jabri B, Murray JA. Open-Capsule
Budesonide for Refractory Celiac Disease. Am J Gastroenterol. 2017 Mar 21
8. Mukewar S, Costedio M, Wu X, Bajaj N, Lopez R, Brzezinski A, Shen B. Severe adverse
outcomes of endoscopic perforations in patients with and without IBD. Inflamm Bowel Dis.
9. Mukewar S, Mukewar S, Ravi R, Prasad A, S Dua K. Colon tuberculosis: endoscopic
features and prospective endoscopic follow-up after anti-tuberculosis treatment. Clin Transl
Gastroenterol. 2012 Oct 11;3:e24
10. Mukewar S, Wu X, Lopez R, Shen B. Comparison of long-term outcomes of S and J
pouches and continent ileostomies in ulcerative colitis patients with restorative
proctocolectomy-experience in subspecialty pouch center. J Crohns Colitis. 2014 Oct
11. Mukewar S, Hall P, Lashner BA, Lopez R, Kiran RP, Shen B. Risk factors for
nephrolithiasis in patients with ileal pouches. J Crohns Colitis. 2013 Feb;7(1):70-8
12. Mukewar S, Mani P, Wu X, Lopez R, Shen B. YouTube and inflammatory bowel disease.
J Crohns Colitis. 2013 Jun;7(5):392-402
13. Mukewar S, Wu X, Lopez R, Kiran RP, Remzi FH, Shen B. Ethnicity and the risk of
development of Crohn's disease of the ileal pouch. J Crohns Colitis. 2013 Jun;7(5):e178-85
14. Sharma A, Mukewar S, Mara K, Dierkhising R, Kamath P, Cummins N. Epidemiologic
Factors, Clinical Presentation, Causes, and Outcomes of Liver Abscess: A 35-Year Olmsted
County Study. Mayo Clinic Proceedings: Innovations, Quality & Outcomes. Volume 2,
Issue 1, 2018. Pages 16-25
15. de Pretis N, Mukewar S, Aryal-Khanal A, Bi Y, Takahashi N, Chari S. Pancreatic cysts:
Diagnostic accuracy and risk of inappropriate resections. Pancreatology 2017 Mar –
16. Sharma A, Mukewar S, Vege SS. Clinical Profile of Pancreatic Cystic Lesions in von
Hippel-Lindau Disease. Pancreas 2017 Aug;46(7):948-952.
17. Abu Dayyeh B, Mukewar S, Vargas Vallis E, Majumder S, Topazian M, Levy M, Petersen
B, Gostout C, Baron T, Abu Dayyeh B. Endoscopic necrosectomy using large diameter
self-expandable metal stents is superior to necrosectomy with plastic stents. Gastrointest
Endosc. 2017 May 3.
18. Arora Z, Mukewar S, Lopez R, Camino D, Shen B, Hall P. Etiopathogenesis of
Nephrolithiasis in Ulcerative Colitis Patients with the Ileal Pouch Anal Anastomosis.
Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2017 Mar 15
19. Arora Z, Mukewar S, Wu X, Shen B. Risk factors and clinical implication of
superimposed Campylobacter jejuni infection in patients with underlying ulcerative colitis.
Gastroenterol Rep (Oxf). 2016 Nov;4(4):287-292
20. Wu XR, Mukewar S, Hammel JP, Remzi FH, Shen B. Comparable Pouch Retention Rate
Between Pediatric and Adult Patients After Restorative Proctocolectomy and Ileal
Pouches. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2014 Aug;12(8):1295-302.
21. Lewis B, Mukewar S, Lopez R, Brzezinski A, Hall P, Shen B. Frequency and risk factors
of renal insufficiency in inflammatory bowel disease inpatients. Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2013
22. Wu XR, Mukewar S, Kiran RP, Hammel JP, Remzi FH, Shen B. The presence of primary
sclerosing cholangitis is protective for ileal pouch from Crohn's disease. Inflamm Bowel
Dis. 2013 Jun;19(7):1483-9.
23. Wu XR, Mukewar S, Kiran RP, Remzi FH, Hammel J, Shen B. Risk factors for peristomal
pyoderma gangrenosum complicating inflammatory bowel disease. J Crohns Colitis. 2013
24. Wu XR, Mukewar S, Kiran RP, Remzi FH, Shen B. Endoscopic dilation versus surgical
stricturoplasty in the treatment of ileal pouch strictures. J Gastrointest Surg. 2013
25. Navaneethan U, Mukewar S, Venkatesh PG, Lopez R, Shen B. Clostridium difficile
infection is associated with worse long term outcome in patients with ulcerative colitis. J
Crohns Colitis. 2012 Apr;6(3):330-6.
26. Sourianarayanane A, Mukewar S, Upchurch BR, Bauer TW, Sanaka MR. Double-balloon
enteroscopy enabled the diagnosis of duodenal adenocarcinoma in a patient with Roux-en-
Y gastric bypass surgery presenting with chronic anemia. Gastrointest Endosc. 2011
27. Wu XR, Kiran RP, Mukewar S, Remzi FH, Shen B. Diagnosis and management of pouch
outlet obstruction caused by common anatomical problems after restorative
proctocolectomy. J Crohns Colitis. 2014 Apr 1;8(4):270-5.
28. Navaneethan U, Venkatesh PG, Mukewar S, Lashner BA, Remzi FH, McCullough AJ,
Kiran RP, Shen B, Fung JJ. Progressive primary sclerosing cholangitis requiring liver
transplantation is associated with reduced need for colectomy in patients with ulcerative
colitis. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2012 May;10(5):540-6.
29. Wu XR, Kiran RP, Remzi FH, Katz S, Mukewar S, Shen B. Preoperative pelvic radiation
increases the risk for ileal pouch failure in patients with colitis-associated colorectal cancer.
J Crohns Colitis. 2013 Nov 1;7(10):e419-26.
30. Issa D, Irani S, Law R, Shah S, Bhalla S, Mahadev S, Hajifathalian K, Mukewar S, Carr-
Locke DL, Khashab MA, Sharaiha RZ. Endoscopic Ultrasound-Guided Gallbladder
Drainage as a Rescue Therapy for Unresectable Malignant Biliary Obstruction: A
Multicenter Experience. Endoscopy. 2020
31. Hajifathalian K, Ichkhanian Y, Dawod Q, Meining A, Schmidt A, Glaser N, Vosoughi K,
Diehl DL, Grimm IS, James T, Templeton AW, Samarasena JB, Chehade NEH, Lee JG,
Chang KJ, Mizrahi M, Barawi M, Irani S, Friedland S, Korc P, Aadam AA, Al-Haddad M,
Kowalski TE, Smallfield G, Ginsberg GG, Fukami N, Lajin M, Kumta NA, Tang SJ, Naga
Y, Amateau SK, Kasmin F, Goetz M, Seewald S, Kumbhari V, Ngamruengphong S,
Mahdev S, Mukewar S, Sampath K, Carr-Locke DL, Khashab MA, Sharaiha RZ. Full-
thickness resection device (FTRD) for treatment of upper gastrointestinal tract lesions: the
first international experience. Endosc Int Open. 2020 Oct;8(10):E1291-E1301.
1. Ehrlich D, Naini B, Mukewar S. A rare cause of gastric wall thickening. Gastroenterology
2017 Oct 5.
2. Ehrlich D, Mukewar S, Wang H, Muthusamy VR. Bite-on-bite technique for removal of a
gastric subepithelial lipoma. VideoGIE. 2019;4(3):108-110.
3. Hajifathalian K, Issa D, Carr-Locke D, Mukewar S. Cystic duct remnant syndrome:
endoscopic approach to management. VideoGIE. 2019;4(12):563-564.
1. Cohen-Mekelburg S, Schwartz RE, Rosenblatt R, Brown RS Jr, Tafesh ZH, Tow C, Russo N,
Schneider Y, Gupta V, Mukewar S, Shen NT, Novikov A. Hepatology Highlights.
Hepatology. 2018 May;67(5):1647-1650
2. Niec R, Schwartz RE, Rosenblatt R, Gupta V, Tafesh ZH, Brown RS, Russo N, Cohen-
Mekelburg S, Mukewar S, Novikov A. Hepatology Highlights. Hepatology. 2018
3. Rosenblatt R, Brown RS Jr, Mukewar S, Schneider Y, Schwartz RE, Cohen-Mekelburg S,
Tow C, Novikov A, Russo N, Tafesh ZH, Gupta V. Hepatology Highlights. Hepatology. 2018
4. Russo N, Brown RS Jr, Rosenblatt R, Schwartz RE, Shah S, Tow C, Shen NT, Mukewar S,
Gupta V, Novikov A. Hepatology Highlights. Hepatology. 2018 Feb;67(2):461-463.
Non Peer-Review Publications
1. Mukewar S, Joshi PP. Efficacy of Metadoxine in Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease – A
Randomized Double Blind Controlled Trial. Published in Indian Council of Medical
Research annual report, 2003
2. Saurabh Mukewar, Suresh Chari. Pancreatic Cystic Neoplasms: The Essentials. AGA
New Gastroenterologist Supplement (Winter 2015)
Textbook and Book Chapters
1. Pancreas and Biliary Disease: A Point of Care Clinical Guide (Springer). Chapter 5.
Steroid-Responsive Chronic Pancreatitides: Autoimmune Pancreatitis and Idiopathic Duct
Centric Chronic Pancreatitis Nicolo' de Pretis, Yan Bi, Saurabh Mukewar, Suresh Chari
2. Saurabh Mukewar, Suresh T Chari. Chapter: Pancreatic cysts. The Pancreas: An
Integrated Textbook of Basic Science, Medicine, and Surgery, third edition.
3. Singh S, Mukewar S, Carr-Locke D. Advances in Endoscopic Imaging of Biliary Tree.
Gastrointestinal and Pancreatico-Biliary Diseases: Advanced Diagnostic and Therapeutic
• Asian Institute of Gastroenterology, Hyderabad – July 2018. Talk on “Cystic lesions of
• Chairperson, Endoscopy and Liver session. Indian Association for the Study of the Liver,
Annual Meeting, August 2018.
• Purbanchal Gastrocon – Gastroenterology conference for Chattisgarh and Orissa, Raipur,
Chattisgarh. August 2018. Talk on “Liver transplant: the basics”
• Academy of Medical Sciences meeting, Nagpur 2018. Talk on “Outcomes and complications
following liver transplant”
• All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi – August 2018. Talk on “Cystic lesions of
• Association of Minimal Access Surgeons conference (AMASICON), India – November 2019.
Talk on “Endoscopic management of surgical complications”
• Academy of Medical Sciences, Nagpur – December 2019. Talk on “New in Midas”
• Asia Pacific Digestive Week, Kolkata, India – December 2019. Talk on “Setting up an efficient
endoscopic unit”, Chairperson for “Live endoscopy session”, hands on training on
“cholangioscopy”, 2 nd prize “Boston Scientific Video Contest”, chaired “poster session”,
presented abstract on “G-POEM for gastroparesis: Weill Cornell experience”
• GPCON 2020 organized by Midas Medical Foundation – Jan 2020, Nagpur, India. Organizing
committee member. Talk on “Endoscopic management of Obesity” and “Cholangioscopy and
• National Cancer Institute, Nagpur, India – February 2020. Talk on “Advanced Endoscopy for
• Talk on “Latest in Interventional Endoscopy” – February 2020. Chhindwara, MP in association
with IMA, Chhindwara and Midas Medical Foundation.
• VAPCION 2020. March 2020. Talk on “What is new in Interventional Endoscopy”
• Webinar on Upper GI bleed (regional) – April 2020 for Associations of Surgeons, Nagpur.
Attended by 100 people.
• Webinar on upper GI bleed (national) – May 2020. Organized by Midas Medical Foundation in
Association with Torrent Pharmaceuticals. Attended by 1800 attendees pan India.
• Part of panel discussion on “Role of Vasoconstrictors in Liver Cirrhosis” by Cipla
Pharmaceuticals with multiple national faculties led by Dr. Rakhi Maiwal, ILBS New Delhi.
• Webinar on “Cholangioscopy: Interesting Cases” organized by Boston Scientific Asia Pacific.
Attended by >100 attendees across the world. May 2020.
• Webinar on “Interventional EUS: Emerging Applications with Interesting Cases” organized by
Boston Scientific Asia Pacific. Attended by >100 attendees across the world. June 2020.
• Webinar on “Interventions in Acute Pancreatitis” in the Associations of Surgeons, Nagpur. June
• Presented case on “Large WOPN managed successfully endoscopically” in 94 th Midas Clinical
Meeting organized by Midas Medical Foundation. June 2020.
• Webinar on “Diabetes and Gastrointestinal Diseases” organized by Torrent Pharmaceuticals.
Attended by >100 attendees regionally. August 2020.
• Webinar by Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy of India Mid-Term meeting. Panel
discussion on pancreatic cysts with talk by Dr. Bronte Holt. August 2020. Attended by >1,000
• Presented case on “Diagnostic EUS in Ampullary Adenoma complicated with perforation
managed endoscopically with Over The Scope Clip” in 94 th Midas Clinical Meeting organized
by Midas Medical Foundation. June 2020.
• Webinar of “Albumin in Decompensated Liver Cirrhosis” organized by Takeda
Pharamaceuticals. Sep 2020.
• Webinar (IAMICON) organized by Cadilla Pharmaceuticals. Panel discussion on “Probiotics in
Gastroenterology” with talk by Eamonn Quigley. Attended by >4,000 attendees.
• Webinar by Midas Medical Foundation and NATCO Pharmaceuticals. Presented on
“Endoscopic Management of Obesity and NASH”. Attended by 88 attendees.
• Webinar – Presented an interesting case of EUS guided GB drainage after failed EUS guided
choledochoduodenostomy and ERCP for malignant biliary obstruction at India EUS Summit
• Webinar – Moderated session on Endotherapy for GERD and Barrett’s updates. Jan 2021.
• Webinar – “Landmark papers in GI Endoscopy and Surgery” by Midas Medical Foundation,
ASN and DDS-Nagpur. Jan 2021.
• Webinar – Moderated session on “ERCP” by Dr. David Carr-Locke, May 2021.
• Webinar – Moderated session on “Hepatitis B” by Dr. Robert Brown, May 2021
• Webinar – Talk on “Refractory Esophageal Stricture” for Digestive Disease Society and ASN,
Nagpur, May 2021